Preparation Time: 20 Minutes | Cooking Time: 25 Minutes | Serves: 7 to 8
1 kg Basmati rice
1 kg mutton
2 Knorr seasoning cubes
20g Fat spread
1 tablespoon coriander powder
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
4 cardamom seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon crushed pepper
1 tablespoon chilli powder
2-3 green chillies
2 tablespoons of tamarind extract
2 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
100g yoghurt or curd
Salt to taste
1. Wash 1 kg rice and soak in water for 20 minutes.
2. In a pan, melt fat spread and sauté ginger and garlic till golden brown. Add mutton and fry well.
3. Then add cumin seeds, coriander powder, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, crushed pepper, Knorr seasoning Cubes, tamarind and yoghurt. Mix well.
4. Add 1 cup of water and cook for a few minutes.
5. Chop tomatoes and add it into the meat mixture.Add soaked rice and the meat mixture into a pot or a rice cooker. Stir it and pour water to the measurement of 1 cup of rice = 1 ½ Cups of water.
6. Cook till the rice is done / fully cooked. Garnish as desired and serve hot.
If the mutton pieces are large, cook the mutton in a pressure cooker with a little water and then add it in when cooking the rice. The remaining stock can also be used to flavour the rice